Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dieting with Style

Although there was a time when I was slim, since turning 30 I have struggled with my weight, a condition aggravated by the fact that my wife and children effortlessly remain slim.  It’s not that they work at it.  My son ignores his diet altogether, while my wife and daughter feign allegiance to healthy eating while consuming copious amounts of sweets (my wife) and alcohol (my daughter).

I have found a way to diet that suits me.  I eat whatever I want in increments of 200 calories, a tactic that means miniaturizing many of my meals.  Tonight I am going to take some pedestrian items and have a lovely, cheerful, small meal.  The main attraction is a chicken sandwich with lemon dill mustard.  There is no real cooking involving, just some incredibly smart shopping.  Here are the main elements:

CHICKEN BISCUITS WITH LEMON DILL MAYO

  • 6 Tyson Lightly Breaded Chicken Nuggets
  • 6x Mary B’s Tea Biscuits (small butter milk biscuits, available at most Wal-Mart’s)
  • 2 tbsp Kraft’s Olive Oil Mayonnaise
  • Zest and juice of one lemon
  • 1 tsp dry dill
I do employ a couple of tricks to get the most our of these ordinary items. 

  1. Preheat the oven to 425 F
  2. Lightly butter the top and bottom of the biscuits
  3. Bake the nuggets and biscuits for 20 minutes
  4. Mix the mayo, dill, lemon juice & zest.
  5. Turn the nuggets over and bake for five more minutes
  6. Remove the biscuits and nuggets from oven
  7. Season the nuggets with salt & pepper
  8. Split the biscuits and add one nugget and a bit of the mayo to each
Serve with your favorite cocktail. I like a Lemon Kamikaze with these.  Each chicken slider is about 125 calories.  (The Lemon Kamikaze is 170)


LEMON KAMIKAZE

Ingredients
  • 1 ½ oz Svedka Vodka
  • ¾  oz Patron Orange Liqueur
  • Juice of ½ lemon
Directions
  1. Shake all ingredients well with cracked ice.  
  2. Strain into chilled glass.  
  3. Garnish with lemon zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment