Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Chili for Chilly Weather



We’re expecting sub-freezing temperatures tonight and that calls for the essential cold weather meal, classic red chili. Now chili may have its roots in Mexico, but it was only fully realized in Texas, birth place of my father. My mother made typical WASP chili...ground beef, canned kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, and chopped onion, seasoned with salt and pepper. 

Over the years my chili recipe has evolved. Despite the fact that I have lived in the culinary hot spots of New York, San Francisco, and Washington DC, my chili recipe is one hundred percent Southern. It’s not purist chili. It has beans it and ground sirloin in lieu of chopped beef, but it has a combination of spices that is satisfying and warming.  I normally serve this with corn bread or corn tortilla chips, but tonight I'm minding my carbs and enjoying it with some whole grain Pepperidge Farm  Goldfish. Don't tell  the Texans.

RED CHILI 

 Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground sirloin 
  • 2 cups chopped onion 
  • 2 cans chopped tomatoes 
  • 2 16 oz cans of kidney beans, drained 
  • 2 cloves garlic minced 
  • 1 tbsp beef soup starter 
  • 1 tbsp cumin 
  • 1 tsp Mexican oregano 
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 1 tsp (or more) red pepper flakes 

Directions
  1.  Brown ground sirloin in a heavy bottom stew pot. Drain excess fat. 
  2. Add onions and sauté until translucent. 
  3. Add garlic and sauté one minute. 
  4. Add beans and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. 
  5. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment